Nicaragua Managua North Mission

Nicaragua Managua North Mission

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

First Week In The MTC

Hey family and friends! This past week has been crazy for me. I have already witnessed so many crazy things. The first couple days was a struggle for me. I thought to myself often about why im out on my mission. It has been so hard. But I would like to share with you guys an experience that goes to show the hand of the lord in missionary work and life. My district was told that we would be teaching an investigator in spanish. My companion and I, as well as the other set of companions in my district were shocked and scared to death as we all know very little spanish. My companion and I prepared our first lesson and wrote it all out in spanish and we felt very confident going into teach our investigator. It came time and my companion and I said a prayer before we knocked on the door. We then knocked and she came to the door. She let us in and we sat on the couch. My companion and I very quickly learned that we had no idea what to say. We went by the script reading off of our papers and it was awful. We couldn't understand anything she said. We ended very awkwardly and just left. I was SO angry. I was completely devastated and that night just cried. How was I going to do this mission. My companion and I felt awful. That night I said a prayer to ask for help. I asked for comfort and to guide me in what I should do. The next day I still felt discouraged. My companion and I prayed before we prepared our next lesson. The spirit was with us and I felt the lord helping guide us to what we needed to talk about. But Spanish! My spanish was awful and I could barely communicate with anyone. But that night my companion and I went in with a totally different attitude. We prayed so many times and asked the lord to please help us. We felt inspired to sing a hymn to Marlyn Tello. So again we knocked on her door and she answered. We asked her how her day was and was able to have a conversation with her and understand a little bit of what she was saying. We opened with a prayer and I said it. I knew then that the Lord was going to help me. The spirit was strong but after my companion and I sang I am a child of God. After  we began to talk to her about heavenly father and tht he loves us. we talked about the importance of prayer and how important it is for us to communicate with god. We then talked about Jesus christ and that because of him we can return to live with our father in heaven again. So we basically talked about the restoration. I will tell you all this. no more than five minutes in I dropped my pad and began to talk with her. It sounds crazy and weird but I was able to speak the language and communicate with her! I bore testimony and the spirit was so strong. I wa speaking the spanish language. not anywhere close to good or perfect but enough for her to understand. My companion then read the first vision and after we bore testimony and tears were streaming down her cheeks. When we left my companion said that I was saying stuff he couldn't even understand but that he felt the spirit. I know that God loves us and that the only way I can do this mission is with his help. The spirit has testified to me that this is the right thing for me to do and Im so excited to serve. The MTC is crazy. The food is absolutely awful and its hard getting used to the rules. we have three hours of language study with a teacher and the rest is really up to us. we don't have someone telling us what to do. its so weird but has been an awesome experience. Im sorry if its not making sense I just have to type really fast haha and so I cant go back and read over. Hope all is well. I miss and love all of you guys. I have a ton of funny stories but don't have time. Next week.  love you all!

Love, 
Elder Knight